Monday, September 2, 2013

Review: If I Should Die (Revenants #3) by Amy Plum


Author: Amy Plum
Series: Revenants Trilogy
Genre: YA, Fantasy/Paranormal, Romance
Release Date: May 7, 2013
Source: Borrowed from library
My Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

Summary From Goodreads:I will not lose another person I love. I will not let history repeat itself.
Vincent waited lifetimes to find me, but in an instant our future together was shattered. He was betrayed by someone we both called a friend, and I lost him. Now our enemy is determined to rule over France’s immortals, and willing to wage a war to get what they want.
It shouldn’t be possible, none of it should be, but this is my reality. I know Vincent is somewhere out there, I know he’s not completely gone, and I will do anything to save him.

After what we’ve already fought to achieve, a life without Vincent is unimaginable. He once swore to avoid dying—to go against his nature and forsake sacrificing himself for others—so that we could be together. How can I not risk everything to bring my love back to me?

My Thoughts:

Straight from the beginning, Amy Plum had me enraptured with her amazing world of Revenants. I admit that the cover was what really drew me to this series in the first place though (I mean look at them, they're gorgeous!). I was a little cautious when I first started reading Die For Me because I was afraid that it would be a typical YA fantasy story, but I was completely wrong. After a couple chapters, I was absolutely hooked. The first two books blew my expectations out of the water. The trilogy never drags because something is always happening, once you figure the conflict is resolved-BAM-plot twist!

Talking about plot twists the cliffhanger in Until I Die absolutely killed me (no pun intended ;). I realized that authors really love putting huge plot twists in the end of second books in trilogies. It makes sense as to why, but seriously? Do you like torturing your readers? (Yes. Yes they do.) Anyway, I knew I had to get my hands on If I Should Die asap, and I was certainly not disappointed.

I started reading the first few chapters back in July but got distracted by The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa (that book is freaking amazing, I could seriously gush about it all day. But alas I won't.), along with aa few other books. I finally picked it back up yesterday and plowed through it. I literally couldn't tear my eyes away once I started. If I Should Die picks up right where Until I Die ended, no slow reintroductions at all. The plot of this book revolves around how to save Vincent (who is totally swoon worthy) from the Numa. The Numa are the bad guys working against the Revenants which they later have an epic battle with. But I won't get into that, you'll just have to read all that awesome goodness yourself.

Now let's talk a little bit about the characters, because they are just amazing. While I loved the main characters of the novel, the minor characters had a huge impact on the story as well. I adored Kate's family for their support of Kate and the Revenants. I just hate reading YA books where the main characters parents/guardians/whoever don't understand the MC and refuse to listen to them! It annoys me beyond belief. But Kate's family (especially Georgia) definitely impacts the plot. All the minor Revenant characters like Bram and Arthur were super important as well. *minor spoiler* I also simply liked Georgia and Arthur's cute little relationship. *end spoiler* The only thing that bothered me was the end of the novel. Although I got the HEA I was looking for, I found it to be a little bit too open ended. I would have appreciated it more if there had been an epilogue of some sort. but overall, I still thoroughly enjoyed it. 
                    
                                              My Favorite Quote:                           

"'I'm being given my heart's desire, and I just don't know what to do with it. I'm almost afraid to believe it's true, in case someone shakes me and tells me I'm dreaming.' "It's not a dream. I'm here with you," I say. 'For what looks like a really long time.'”

Would I recommend this trilogy? Yes! Go pick it up today!

No comments:

Post a Comment