Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Review: Never Apart by Romily Bernard

Author: Romily Bernard
Genre: YA, Sci-fi, Mystery
Release Date: October 3, 2017
Source: Netgalley
My Rating: 4.5 stars
Summary From Goodreads: 
How many times would you die for love?
What if you had to relive the same five days over and over?
And what if at the end of it, your boyfriend is killed…
And you have to watch. Every time.
You don’t know why you’re stuck in this nightmare.
But you do know that these are the rules you now live by:
Wake Up.
Run.
Die.
Repeat.
Now, the only way to escape this loop is to attempt something crazy. Something dangerous. Something completely unexpected. This time…you’re not going to run.
Combining heart-pounding romance and a thrilling mystery, Never Apart is a stunning story you won’t soon forget.

My Thoughts 


I was really excited when I first saw Never Apart because I loved Find Me and I had no idea that Romily was releasing a new novel. I’m not a huge fan of mystery, but I knew I had to read this one, and I’m so glad I did.

I wasn’t expecting for it to be set in a parallel universe sort of thing, so that was really interesting for me because I haven’t read very many books set in an alternate dimension. And the fact that it revolved around reincarnation was super cool to me because I haven't read many of those either.

I really liked the descriptions in each of Grace’s Falls and how she adapts to each one. Aside from the setting, I enjoyed the character's and how each of their backstory is slowly revealed. My favorite thing was probably how Grace was a bit of an unreliable character. I also ended up liking Finn, and I really liked how the characters were crafted because there was a lot more to them than it seemed at first.

The thing I loved the most about the plot was how I wasn’t able to expect what would happen next (I can’t even count how many times I mentally screamed “What is happening?!” while I was reading). Although, I did guess the ending way back in the beginning but I didn’t think about very much because I thought it was wrong, so I was actually really surprised when my prediction turned out to be right.

One thing that I wasn’t a huge fan of was the switch between past and present. I think it really helped piece together everything in the end, but it was a bit jarring to switch between when reading.

Overall, Never Apart was such a great book. It had me on edge throughout the novel, and I could not stop myself from reading. Even though it’s a fairly long book, it was a super fast read and I just flew through it. I highly recommend it to fans of mystery and sci-fi!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment