Monday, February 17, 2014

Joint Review: Slayers (#1 and #2) by C.J. Hill

These reviews are admittedly long over due, so I just combined them all into one post since it's the same series.

Author: C.J. Hill
Series: Slayers Series
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Romance
Release Date: May 27, 2011
Source: Borrowed from library
My Rating: 4/5 Stars
Summary from Goodreads: 
Dragons exist. They’re ferocious. And they’re smart: Before they were killed off by slayer-knights, they rendered a select group of eggs dormant, so their offspring would survive. Only a handful of people know about this, let alone believe it–these “Slayers” are descended from the original knights, and are now a diverse group of teens that includes Tori, a smart but spoiled senator’s daughter who didn’t sign up to save the world.The dragon eggs have fallen into the wrong hands. The Slayers must work together to stop the eggs from hatching. They will fight; they will fall in love. But will they survive? 

My Thoughts:

I had no idea what to expect when I picked up Slayers. I can't even remember the last time I read a book solely based on dragons so maybe that's why it so enjoyable, because I had little expectations for it. The thing that popped into my head when I first saw the cover was "Why is this girl wearing a dress and high heals while facing a dragon?" Then as I began to read, it made complete sense. The cover portrays the main character, Tori, perfectly. She's used to having fancy things at her disposal, being the senator's daughter does have it's perks, I suppose.

Tori always had a strange fascination for these mythical beasts. One summer, she decides to attend a camp about dragons, where she discovers a group of teenagers with special abilities who coincidentally fight dragons. At first she's treated as a snob (which she kind of is at the beginning), but there is definitely a huge development of her personality by the end of the novel.

While I liked the characters in Slayers, I didn't truly connect with them. Tori annoyed me at some times during the beginning of the book because of her decisions, and the romance/slight love triangle didn't appeal to me much but it wasn't stab-worthy horrible.

The plot was actually really good. Although some parts were predictable, there were also plot twists that I did not expect.



Author: C.J. Hill
Series: Slayers Series
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Romance
Release Date: October 15, 2013
Source: Goodreads First Reads
My Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
Summary from Goodreads:
Tori is at a White House dinner party when she hears a horrifying sound: dragon eggs hatching. It means in less than a year, the dragons will be mature and dangerous. The Slayers are well-trained, but their group is not yet complete, and Tori is determined to track down Ryker Davis, the mysterious Slayer who has yet to surface.
What Tori doesn’t bargain for, however, is the surprising truth about her powers: she isn’t a Slayer after all, but a Dragon Lord, with a built-in predisposition to protect dragons, not kill them. How will she overcome this to save the lives of her friends?

 My Thoughts:
 
After reading Slayers, I was excited to start the second one, and I'm glad to say that it did not disappoint at all. Friends and Traitors definitely takes after its title. Friends and Traitors picks up right where Slayers left off, with a slayer tipping off Overdrake.

I definitely connected more to the characters in the second novel than the first, and there was much more action in Friends and Traitors than Slayers. The plot was very well done and made me question why I haven't read more dragon stories.

The only thing that truly bothered me was the romance. I love my books to have a love interest in them but I didn't really care for either of the guys in this one. I did prefer one guy over the other, but I never really shipped Tori with anyone. And I love shipping characters. I found it slightly annoying because one second she would be fawning over Jesse, and then Dirk, and then she would feel guilty about it! Now, I don't hate love triangles (I actually love some of them like Jeb, Morpheus, and Alyssa from Splintered), but this one just didn't do it for me.

Overall though, Slayers is definitely one of the best dragon books I've read, even though that hasn't been many.

Would I recommend the Slayers series? Yes, especially for those who love fantasy/dragons and action!


https://www.goodreads.com/series/89783-slayers

No comments:

Post a Comment