Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Waiting on Wednesday #33

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking The Spine, that highlights upcoming releases we're anticipating.


Author: Anne Blankman 
Series: Prisoner of Night and Fog
Genre: YA, Historical Fiction, Romance
Release Date: April 21, 2015 
Summary From Goodreads: 
The girl known as Gretchen Whitestone has a secret: She used to be part of Adolf Hitler’s inner circle. More than a year after she made an enemy of her old family friend and fled Munich, she lives with a kindly English family, posing as an ordinary German immigrant, and is preparing to graduate from high school. Her love, Daniel Cohen, is a reporter in town. For the first time in her life, Gretchen is content.
But then, Daniel gets a telegram that sends him back to Germany, and Gretchen’s world turns upside-down. And when she receives word that Daniel is wanted for murder, she has to face the danger she thought she’d escaped-and return to her homeland.
Gretchen must do everything she can to avoid capture and recognition, even though saving Daniel will mean consorting with her former friends, the Nazi elite. And as they work to clear Daniel’s name, Gretchen and Daniel discover a deadly conspiracy stretching from the slums of Berlin to the Reichstag itself. Can they dig up the explosive truth and get out in time-or will Hitler discover them first?


Why I'm waiting: 


I don't read many historical fiction novels, but I really enjoyed The Prisoner of Night and Fog. Even though I felt like the book could've been a standalone, I'm still excited for more Gretchen and Daniel.

What are you waiting to read? Tell me in the comments!
                       
Anne Blankman


Website • Twitter 

Anne Blankman may have been meant to be a writer because her parents named her for Anne of Green Gables. She grew up in an old house with gables (gray, unfortunately) in upstate New York. When she wasn't writing or reading, she was rowing on the crew team, taking ballet lessons, fencing and swimming. She graduated from Union College with degrees in English and history, which comes in handy when she writes historical fiction.

14 comments:

  1. I really want to explore the historical fiction genre more too! I loved the subject History in school so a book based around these true events has the potential to be fascinating, emotional and intense:)
    I haven't read this series yet but I'll definitely try The Prisoner of Night and Fog because this whole storyline and Gretchen's connection to Hitler are just so intriguing! Some romance in historical fiction always adds the raw emotion to let the reader truly feel how someone in that time would so yay Daniel and Gretchen:)
    Great pick!
    Mine's Passenger by Alexandra Bracken (the author of The Darkest Minds trilogy:D)
    Here it is if you want to check it out:) : http://anotheronceuponatime.blogspot.sg/2015/02/waiting-on-wednesday-passenger-by.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm glad to put it on your radar! I definitely recommend it to fans of history! And good pick! I love Alexandra Bracken too!

      Delete
  2. I have stayed away from historical fiction for a while now. Especially the WWII stuff. I think it makes me sad when thinking about all those people killed for no reason. I have yet to pick a book about that time. You are brave :)

    Here's my WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I totally understand where you're coming from. I feel like a lot of people don't read historical fiction for the same reason. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read the first book in this series, but I hope you enjoy reading this one.
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good! Happy reading and thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm starting to see more WWII historical books up on reviews. My historical romance novels usually go much further back but I think I would enjoy this series. I'm coming to realize that just because horrible things happened around a certain timeframe, it doesn't mean that good books in the same time can't be amazing. Definitely going to give this series a chance to draw me in.

    My WoW this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, a lot of historical fiction books are really good even though their content is super sad!

      Delete
  5. I don't read historicals very often, but this one sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing!
    My WoW: http://onceuntold.blogspot.com/2015/02/waiting-on-wednesday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed since I don't read historicals much either!

      Delete
  6. Great choice. I have heard awesome things about the first book in this series so I may have to pick it up because it seems like such an interesting concept. Thank you for sharing.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me and Historical doesn't get along well. But this one seems really good. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand. I usually steer clear of them too, but I saw a ton of positive reviews for the Prisoner of Night and Fog so I caved and read it. I'm glad that I did!

      Delete