Friday, October 31, 2014

Mini Review: The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu


Author: Jennifer Mathieu
Series: None
Genre: YA, Contemporary Romance/Realistic Fiction
Release Date: June 3, 2014
Source: Netgalley
My Rating: 4 Stars
Summary From Goodreads: 
Everyone knows Alice slept with two guys at one party.
But did you know Alice was sexting Brandon when he crashed his car?
It's true. Ask ANYBODY.

Rumor has it that Alice Franklin is a slut. It's written all over the bathroom stall at Healy High for everyone to see. And after star quarterback Brandon Fitzsimmons dies in a car accident, the rumors start to spiral out of control.
In this remarkable debut novel, four Healy High students—the girl who has the infamous party, the car accident survivor, the former best friend, and the boy next door—tell all they know.
But exactly what is the truth about Alice? In the end there's only one person to ask: Alice herself.


My Thoughts

To keep it short and sweet, the Truth About Alice was an emotional filled novel. I honestly hated almost all of the characters. Like I seriously wanted to punch them in the face. I know that sounds really harsh, but take in example Alice's ex-best friend. She doesn't stop people from bullying Alice and even spreads rumors herself. The only person I truly liked was Kurt. I didn't hate Josh either, but I certainly did not like him either because he knew the truth about what actually happened, yet kept it to himself to save his own popularity.

The Truth About Alice is one heck of poignant novel. I'm usually not a fan of multiple POV's, but the ones in this book added so much detail and emotion to the plot that I really enjoyed how they were incorporated.

Overall I highly enjoyed the Truth About Alice and definitely recommend it to people looking for a fast, powerful, and drama/emotion filled read. It definitely doesn't shy away from the topic of bullying and slut-shaming.
                                                                                                                                      


                                                
                  
About Jennifer Mathieu

 Website  Twitter  Facebook 

I'm an English teacher, writer, wife, and mom who writes books for and about young adults. 
My favorite things include chocolate, pepperoni pizza, and this super hilarious 1980s sitcom about four retired women called The Golden Girls. I can basically quote every episode.
I live with my husband, son, one rescue dog, one fat cat, and another cat that is even fatter than the fat cat.
When it comes to what I read, I love realistic young adult fiction (duh), creative nonfiction, super scandalous tell-all memoirs and unauthorized biographies, and basically anything that hooks me on the first page.


No comments:

Post a Comment