Monday, July 28, 2014

Discussion Post: Moving Time

 
My dad recently got a new job in New Mexico, meaning that my family and I have to move this summer. I don't know about you guys, but I have never moved before, not even to a different city/town. I've lived in Ohio my whole life, so the prospect of me having pick up everything and move to a completely different place on the other side of the country within two months is kind of exciting and extremely frightening at the same time. 

We finally sold our house last week, but we have no idea when the moving company is coming. Therefore, we're pretty much stuck here for the time being. Our deadline is August 12th because that's when my dad's work begins and my new high school starts the next day (eep!). Hopefully we know soon, because I need to prepare!

So tell me, have you guys ever moved or transferred schools? Have any moving tips or maybe just funny/embarrassing first day of school stories? Do you instigate all the conversations or are you more of an introvert like me and allow other people to break the ice? I want to know what you guys have to say!

6 comments:

  1. Ariel, my husband and I moved with our three children 4 times during their school years. The last move was when my oldest was in 10th grade. It was hard on them, but it also had benefits. They have experienced the north, south and west. They are more diverse, well-rounded and more open. It was hardest for my oldest because she tends to be an introvert, but she joined choir and made lasting friends. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm impressed! My mom can barely handle one move, much less four! And new experiences and cultures are definitely a bonus to moving, especially when traveling afar. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Wow, how scary about moving Ariel! I did move when I was younger from New Zealand to Australia but I was a kid then so I just followed the parents. Good luck on the move, it will be an exciting adventure discovering a new place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that you live in Australia! That's really cool, I've always wanted to go there. But yes, it will definitely be an interesting adventure. The Grand Canyon isn't too far from NM, so I'll have to see it sometime! :)

      Delete
  3. Oooh, this will be long.
    So, I was born in Romania and came to Canada at 8 years old. So I landed in Montréal and lived in an apparment for a year. School was great and I met new friends :) Then, the year after, my school closed (I know!!) so we moved and yay new school. It went fine as well. Trust me, you will always find friends, wherever you live. So, then my parents wanted to buy a house so we moved again and in another city. I lived in that house 4 year (school was fantastic and great people!) After, I went to high school where I only knew one person but I ended up meeting some incredible friends there too. Of course, it's not EASY but you will always find someone with whom you can connect and stuff. Plus,teachers are usually understanding about those kinds of things. Hope everything will turn out well for you, Ariel. :))

    Lola @ Hit or Miss Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like a baby after seeing how frequently other people have moved! It sucks to hear that your school closed though! Especially after only a year. But I'm glad that you always found friends wherever you went. Meeting new people is fun yet sometimes intimidating at first. Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! Good luck on your new blog too!

      Delete