Saturday, July 12, 2014

Mini Reviews: The Collector and A Touch of Honor


Author: Victoria Scott
Series: Dante Walker
Genre: YA, Paranormal Fantasy, Romance
Release Date: April 2, 2013
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 5 stars
Summary From Goodreads: 
He makes good girls...bad. 
Dante Walker is flippin’ awesome, and he knows it. His good looks, killer charm, and stellar confidence have made him one of hell’s best—a soul collector. His job is simple: weed through humanity and label those round rears with a big red good or bad stamp. Old Saint Nick gets the good guys, and he gets the fun ones. Bag-and-tag.
Sealing souls is nothing personal. Dante’s an equal-opportunity collector and doesn't want it any other way. But he’ll have to adjust, because Boss Man has given him a new assignment: Collect Charlie Cooper’s soul within ten days.
Dante doesn't know why Boss Man wants Charlie, nor does he care. This assignment means only one thing to him, and that’s a permanent ticket out of hell. But after Dante meets the quirky Nerd Alert chick he’s come to collect, he realizes this assignment will test his abilities as a collector…and uncover emotions deeply buried.


My Thoughts

The Collector was a definitely a book that surprised me. I know many people who love both the Collector and the Liberator, and there's been tons of excitement surrounding Victoria Scott's latest novel, Fire and Flood; however, I didn't really know how I was going to feel about the Collector when I started reading it. It actually took me a while to warm up to Dante and his personality but halfway through I was a total goner. I had a theory of what was going to happen at the end of the novel because of the title of the second book in the series, so I was glad that I guessed right. Although the bad boy, good girl relationship was a little cliche, I loved the idea of the soul seals since I have never read anything like it before. Overall, the Collector was a fun novel that kept me up all night. I will definitely be reading the Liberator very soon!
                                                                                                                                                         
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17228280-better-off-friends
                         
About Victoria Scott
Victoria Scott is a teen fiction writer represented by Sara Crowe. She's the author of the FIRE & FLOOD series published by Scholastic, and the DANTE WALKER trilogy published by Entangled Teen. Her books have been bought and translated in eleven foreign markets including the UK, Turkey, China, Poland, Germany, Australia, Israel, Taiwan, Brazil, New Zealand, and the Netherlands. 
Victoria lives in Dallas with her husband and hearts cotton candy something fierce.




Author: J.P Grider
Series: The Honor Trilogy
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Romance
Release Date: March 12, 2013
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 2.5 stars
Summary From Goodreads: 
Honor hurts…all the time. The doctors say she’s fine – it’s all in her head. But Honor feels pain. What she doesn’t know is…it’s not her pain– it’s everyone else’s.
Seventeen year-old Honor Stevens is not an ordinary teenager. Sure, she looks like one on the outside…but on the inside, there’s a whole world of pain going on. Honor is an empath. That means she can feel other people’s pain – like that of the girl who is about to be raped in the woods, or the girl who is dying of cancer, or her mom…who is suffering a heart attack. What she doesn’t know is what Ethan Sutherland comes to town to tell her – she can save these people. But at what cost? For every life Honor saves, she knocks years off her own.
When Ethan comes looking for her, he isn’t counting on falling in love. Now that he has, he wishes he hadn’t told her about her abilities. Though he tries his best to talk her out of saving every soul, Ethan loses the battle – Honor’s too nice for her own good.
Then there’s the matter of Ethan’s estranged, morally corrupt half-brother, Storm – he loves Honor too. And because Honor is intrinsically empathic, she’s aware of Storm’s softer side and begins falling for him as well.
When the two brothers are forced to work together against a group of evil empaths who are after Honor, they need to put their differences aside and focus on saving the one girl they both love.

My Thoughts

I admit that I was disappointed with A Touch of Honor. When I found it one Goodreads, I was really excited because it had such an interesting premise. I don't think I have ever read a book with an empath as a main character before, so that's what appealed to me the most. When I finally got it and had time to read it, I knew it wasn't going to be a book that I loved. First of all, the writing style was not for me. The way the author tried to imitate the way teenagers talk was completely unrealistic. Being a teenager myself, I know that we sometimes talk in weird slang but no one talks in the way the author portrayed it. I like how J.P Grider tried to incorporate it to make it seem more realistic and capture young readers' attention, but it had a negative effect for me. Secondly, I really didn't connect to any of the characters. If they died I would have felt sad, but there wouldn't have been any onslaught of tears and anger. This also brings me to the romance of this novel. While the romance between Ethan and Honor wasn't horrible, I did not like the love triangle between them and Storm (Ethan's brother). I am still debating whether or not to read the second one since I was sorely let down by this one.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16068905-fangirl

About J.P Grider

WebsiteTwitterFacebook
J.P. Grider is a Young Adult and New Adult author. She is the author of six novels. Her young adult series The Honor Trilogy consists of A Touch of Honor, A Man of Honor, and A Heart of Honor, while her first two novels - Unplugged (A Portrait of a Rock Star) and Maybe This Life - are standalone adult contemporary novels. Her most recent release is the new adult romance Calling California, which is the first in her Hunter Hill University series. The next book in the series – Mending Mick – will be released in October, 2014. All the books in the Hunter Hill University series will be standalone books and can be read in any order.

No comments:

Post a Comment