Sunday, July 6, 2014

Mini Reviews: Feudlings and So Close To You


Author: Wendy Knight
Series: Fate on Fire
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Release Date: March 18, 2013
Format: Ebook
My Rating: 4 stars
Summary From Goodreads: 
Nothing makes a new school suck worse than discovering the guy you’re in love with is your prophesied nemesis.
Ari is the most powerful flame-throwing sorceress ever, and her people’s last hope in an ancient war. But she’s also a seventeen-year-old girl, and in her free, not-hunting-nemesis times, she jumps from school to school, trying to figure out regular people her own age and pretending she’ll get the chance to graduate.
Shane lives a double life. He goes to school and masters the art of popularity, hiding the fact that he has a fate with a slim chance of his survival. He’s destined to end a 300 year-old war by killing or being killed. He knows he’s hunted by a powerful enemy who’s not afraid to die. Only problem? He has no idea who that enemy is. 
When Ari shows up at Shane’s school, angry and sullen and determined to keep him at arm’s reach, neither of them realize they are supposed to be killing each other, not fall-ing in love. Until Ari does realize it, and she almost dies – by Shane’s hand.

My Thoughts

I stumbled upon this book on Goodreads one day and the synopsis really appealed to me so I decided to give it a try. I was a little cautious in the beginning since I'm oddly picky about witch books, but this one hooked me right away.
Ari has been living a secret life as a powerful sorceress while Shane has been sent out on a mission to end a century old feud by finding the Prodigy and killing him. The only problem is that Shane doesn't actually know who the Prodigy is and by the time he does, it might be too late.
I loved both Ari and Shane's characters because they were realistic and not terribly angsty like I was afraid of. I also really enjoyed the romance (not just because I am a sucker for romance) because it was not instalovey! Yay for no instalove! But really, while Feudlings was slightly predictable, it was definitely a fun, action packed read. I look forward to reading the second book, especially after that cliffhanger!
  
                                                                                                                        

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17228280-better-off-friends
                                         
Wendy Knight
Website • Twitter • Facebook
Wendy Knight was born and raised in Utah by a wonderful family who spoiled her rotten because she was the baby. Now she spends her time driving her husband crazy with her many eccentricities (no water after five, terror when faced with a live phone call, etcetera, etcetera). She also enjoys chasing her three adorable kids, playing tennis, watching football, reading, and hiking. Camping is also big: her family is slowly working toward a goal of seeing all the National Parks in the U.S.
You can usually find her with at least one Pepsi nearby, wearing ridiculously high heel for whatever the occasion may be. And if everything works out just right, she will also be writing.
                               




Author: Rachel Carter
Series: So Close to You
Genre: YA, Fantasy/Sci-Fi, Time Travel
Release Date: July 10, 2012
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 3.5 stars
Summary From Goodreads: 
Lydia Bentley has heard stories about the Montauk Project all her life: stories about the strange things that took place at the abandoned military base near her home and people who've disappeared over the years. Stories about people like her own great-grandfather.
When Lydia stumbles into a portal that transports her to a dangerous and strange new reality, she discovers that all the stories she's heard about the Montauk Project are true, and that she's in the middle of one of the most dangerous experiments in history.
Alongside a darkly mysterious boy she is wary to trust, Lydia begins to unravel the secrets surrounding the Project. But the truths behind these secrets force her to questions all her choices - and if Lydia chooses wrong, she might not save her family but destroy them... and herself.

My Thoughts

I sadly did not like So Close to You as much as I had wanted to. It certainly wasn't bad, it just wasn't my cup of tea. The plot synopsis sounded very intriguing with the secret time travel government project. I rarely read time travel books, so I surprisingly enjoyed this aspect. On the other hand, the romance of the book did not appeal to me. I would've enjoyed the book just as much without the love interests (there is a minor love triangle, but it's not a colossal part of the plot). One of the reasons I didn't love it was probably due to the fact that I read it in small increments which ruined the flow of the book and made the plot seem more choppy. I had to focus more to reengage with the story which prevented me from connecting to the characters. But overall So Close to You wasn't bad, just not the book for me. I own the second book in the series, so I will most likely read it anyway.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16068905-fangirl
 Rachel Carter
 

Website • Twitter • Facebook

Rachel Carter grew up surrounded by trees and snow and mountains. She is a graduate of the University of Vermont and Columbia University, where she received her MFA in nonfiction writing. These days you can find her working on her next novel in the woods of Vermont.

No comments:

Post a Comment